Friday, January 21, 2011

Grain-Free Coconut Pancake Recipe

Banana pile & Cinnamon pile

So I made pancakes for breakfast the other day, and they turned out really yummy! To me these are very healthy, since I'm eating a grain-free, low carb, high fat, whole foods diet. Saturated fats are good fats, since they are vital for normal hormones. I wouldn't eat it every day though, I usually don't eat a lot of sweet fruit like banana as some say eating too much sugar can mess up the hormones.

Why don't I eat grains? I've noticed that my skin is clearer and smoother without them. A lot of people are sensitive to grains but don't know it, but it shows through red inflamed skin, oily skin, or acne. There are ways to make grains healthier though, for example through soaking, sprouting or making sourdough.

I ended up making two different versions, one coconut-banana, and the other coconut-cinnamon. They were easy to flip, and they tasted sweet (didn't taste too egg-y). Even the ones without banana were sweet, I guess it's because of the coconut. Here's the recipes that totally made about 14 pancakes:

Big Pile of Yummy Coconut Pancakes


Batter #1 - Like here but with 1 banana instead of the rapadura sugar. 


Batter #2 (almost the same)

3 eggs
3 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp coconut milk
4 tbsp coconut flour (I didn't have real coconut flour, but it worked with shredded coconut that I put in the food processor for a while)
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Whisk the ingredients together, heat a skillet with butter on medium heat, and pour 3 tbsp batter to make a pancake. As always with pancakes we need to be patient and not touch them before it's really time for flipping, about when they're dry on top.

Topping Tip:
½ banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
Blend smooth in food processor.

Banana pancake with Strawberry sauce and Blueberries
Topping Tip: Melted butter and cinnamon.
Cinnamon pancake, extra cinnamon, melted butter
Topping Tip: Coconut cream (the creamy part from a can of coconut milk) with berries or syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment